New Delhi: Although the Haryana Jat leaders have decided to postpone their protest in the national capital, yet there is heavy police deployment at three entry points to Delhi from Noida.
In a bid to avert any untoward incident, the Delhi Police sealed the UP-Delhi borders today.
Due to the tight security arrangement, vehicular movement at the border was slow.
The entry points to Delhi from Noida – DND Flyway, Kalindi Kunj, and New Ashok Nagar – were sealed by the Delhi Police as a precautionary measure.
Holding lathis and donning headgear, officials could be seen prepared to ward off any agitation.
The decision by Jats, agitating for quota, of calling off agitation had come as a relief to the national capital which was bracing for trouble. They had threatened to lay siege to Parliament on Monday.
However, Special Commissioner of Police (Operations) Dependra Pathak had said three-tier security right from the city’s borders to the New Delhi area would remain. It will help monitor the security situation.
The leader of the jat agitation, after a four-hour meeting with Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar in New Delhi, had said the demands of the community had been met, and therefore, the stir would end.
Two Union Ministers Birender Singh and PP Chaudhary, both jats themselves, were also present during the deliberations.
After the announcement, the authorities in Delhi, which was on tenterhooks, eased restrictions which were proposed to be put in the capital today. The Delhi Metro said its services will now run normally except for curbs on exit at certain stations close to Parliament.
However, there was violence in Fatehabad in Haryana yesterday when jat agitators were stopped by police from moving towards Delhi. At least 35 people, including an SP, a DSP and 16 other policemen, were injured in the clashes.
Khattar, while addressing a press conference after the truce deal, promised “full justice” to the jats and described their demands as “genuine”.
He said the Centre will soon initiate the process of providing the reservation while at the state level, an early action will be initiated as soon as a decision comes from the High Court before which the matter is pending.
Regarding other demands, he said the state government will “re-assess” the cases registered between 2010 and 2017 against the Jat protesters, the next of kin of those killed and handicapped during those protests will be given permanent jobs and the role of officers will be probed so that strict action can be taken against the guilty.
All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (AIJASS) chairperson Yashpal Malik, the leader of the agitation seated besides Khattar, said the jats have “full trust on the intentions” of the government.
However, he added, that ‘dharnas’ will continue at some places in Haryana “as we have to inform them about today’s decision and it will take 5-6 days. By March 26, we will do it… At some places, dharna will take place in a symbolic way till our demands are met or any new decision is taken. These dharnas will be attended only by our committee members.”
The Jats have been sitting on dharna in various parts of Haryana since January 29.
The Haryana Chief Minister appealed to people in the state to cooperate in maintaining peace and harmony.
Around 30 people were killed and more than 300 people injured when a similar agitation by the Jats had resulted in large-scale violence in Haryana in February last year.
(With Agency inputs